You are probably here because you are going to start either of these, and a question is raised in your mind “which is the best way to make money online?”
Well, the answer is both Youtube and Blogging can make good money with their kind of influence. But choosing which suits you is what matters.
There are several factors you need to consider while choosing one among these for you. Let us get into them.
Know yourself Before Starting
Typing “how to start a blog / how to start a YouTube channel” in a search bar doesn’t work unless you know who you are or what you can do. Just take a moment to think about it.
Are you a person who has something to share with this world but feel awkward to show yourself up on a camera? Then blogging could be your best choice compared to record yourself in a camera for the video.
Which do you think is your best way to express what you feel? Is it writing or speaking it out? Yes, that is it, now you know how to choose accordingly.
So, knowing your personality could help you to choose the best one.
Best Format for your Niche
Determining where you want to set your foot before taking the first step is a wise choice. That is, you have to choose a specific niche before you start to create the content. Doing this helps you to figure out which format is best for your niche.
Once you are done choosing, think of the audience of that niche.
For example, you choose to create gaming-related content. High chances are there for an audience of that content to prefer video over an article. And that’s something you need to observe.
For some other content, both formats have a significant amount of audience. In that case, you can choose which you are convenient with at the beginning and give another format a try later on.
The skills you Require
Just like anything, you need some skills to get started with any of these.
Skills needed for Blogging
- Browsing is a basic and important skill every blogger should have.
- You also must have good reading skills with a profound ability to research and should have the unique writing skill to rewrite the information gathered.
- You also need some basic photo editing skills because article with images gets more views than those that don’t.
- Know how to work with CSS and HTML which helps to create your website easily and effectively, and makes it more presentable.
- You need to learn SEO (search engine optimization) to rank your article in Google.
- Another important thing is to learn about social networking. Most people use social media nowadays. So, stay active there and share your works with new people which will drive traffic to your blog.
Skills needed to start a YouTube channel
- People will subscribe to your channel for the content you create. So let people know that you have enough knowledge of your niche.
- Make sure that your presentation of content is good, that’s what keeps people engaged in your video, out of which you could make money.
- You must have some video editing skills. No one is interested in a plain lecture. Make it interesting through editing.
- Learn to observe your analytics on YouTube, which shows you what goes right and what doesn’t.
- Just like blogging, you need both SEO and social networking skills.
Learning YouTube SEO can help you rank your videos on YouTube quickly.
- Learn graphic designs to make your channel look more professional.
- You can so much more in filming videos and light setups to attract the audience.
Anyway, you don’t have to worry if you don’t have time for all these. You have an option. There are thousands of freelancers out there who can do some of these works for you in exchange for money, which would save most of your time. For example, there are freelance content writers, post designers, video scriptwriters, video editors, etc. Whom you can hire and get your works done.
The Investment you have to Make
Investments for blogging
- To begin, you will need a laptop. If you already have one, you are good to go.
- The next is, you have to pay for the hosting service and the domain name which would cost around 1500-3000 INR.
(The above-mentioned price is available in Hostinger in which you can choose the premium hosting plan) And get an extra special offer by using the code ” DENTREPRENEUR ” at the checkout.
- The investment above is enough to start with.
But if you want you can also invest a few more thousand for your website design, themes, plugins, etc. Now or later.
Investments for YouTube channel
- A phone with good camera quality (Not necessarily an iPhone) is enough to start and run a successful YouTube channel. If you don’t have any, you can buy one.
- You need a quality mic and a tripod which would cost around 1500 INR
- These are enough to start with.
Earnings from blogging and YouTube
Ways to earn from blogging
There are various ways to earn through blogging. The following are some of them which are pre-eminent,
- Google AdSense is probably the simplest way to make money through your blog. Google AdSense itself will match the ads related to your content. All you have to do is sign up and make a space for it.
- Affiliate marketing is another option through which bloggers make more money than google ads. It is signing up to an affiliate program and sharing the links to products in your blog, for which the product owners (or the company who sells it) will pay for you if your audience buys it there.
- Sponsored posts are also an option in which others will approach you to advertise their posts on your page, for which they will pay you. This will crop up once you start getting a good number of views on your pages.
- Paid link placement is yet another option. Here you will have to place the link to other sites that are relevant to your content inside your blog and get paid.
Ways to earn from YouTube
Again, there are several ways to make money through YouTube if you have a minimum of 1000 subscribers. Let look at a few of them which are popular,
- YouTube ads are the common way to make money through your video.
- Affiliate marketing, just sign up to an affiliate program and leave the link to a product in your video description. Then, ask your audience to buy it if they are interested. If anybody buys the product using your link, you will get paid for it.
- Selling your product is another underrated way to make money. You can create and sell your own product. It could be accessories or digital art or a course etc.
Income through both of these depends upon the number of audiences you have.
Who Starts to Earn First
Didn’t you have this question? I know you did.
Well, the short answer is “YouTube”. Youtubers start to earn faster than the bloggers if they optimize their channel well and tries to rank their video in low competition keywords. Whereas, it takes time for a blogger to bring the traffic to their sites, but can attain it fast if they put in the hard work and follow the right strategies to bring traffic.
Knowing all these, you can surely conclude, which suits you.
No matter which one did you chose, forget not to create content as valuable as possible. Because that’s what matters the most.
And remember, your persistence and consistency is the key for your success.
Don’t give up. Great things ahead!